School governors in the Welsh County Borough of Wrexham study the accredited course written for the Wales Governor Training Consortium by Nigel Gann and his colleague Ann Lancett. The course leads to an award by the Open College Network which is presented by the Education Minister, Jane Davidson.
A needs-analysis survey carried out across a number of LEAs highlighted the skills training needs of Governors and staff. I have specifically designed the courses below to meet those needs. They are suitable for the most experienced to the least.
How long are the courses?
Each course can be delivered in a two-hour session; however, many of the courses benefit from longer periods if available. A half-day/long evening is adequate for most. A full day school improvement programme is available.
Each session is designed as a stand-alone to be delivered in a seminar or conference setting. They may also form a designated series of seminars for induction or continuing development purposes.
List of courses
Click on the name of the course for a full description.
- Promoting High Standards
- Assuring Quality in Schools
- Good Leadership and Management
- Headteachers and the Governing Body: Getting the Roles Right
- Headteachers and Chairs of Governors: Working Together
- Managing and Governing the (Nearly) Stress-Free School
- Assertiveness for School Managers and Governors
- Schools, Governors and Parents
- The Governing Body and School Policies
- Managing Behaviour and Exclusions
- School Improvement and Self Evaluation
- Reviewing School Effectiveness
- Performance Management
- Parent Governors
- Activate Your Voice